Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Paul's Pop Music Hall Of Fame - How This Works

Hello, my fellow pop music junkies!

Have you ever paid attention to the Billboard charts, or looked forward each year to the inductions of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, and was frustrated that your favorites did not get elected, or was confused why certain artists are qualified and others aren't? Why are soul and rap and dance artists qualified to be in, while other pop acts aren't?

Why in the world didn't Billboard magazine, or a pop music icon like Dick Clark, ever organize an entity to honor the chart-topping artists of yesteryear?

I don't personally have a fortune to finance such an organization, or build a museum to honor these artists, but, in my humble opinion, I do have enough knowledge of pop music history to undertake the task of helping to determine who would belong in such an illustrious group.

I've taken some time to decide what would be the best criteria to determine who should be nominated for induction in this 'Paul's Pop Music Hall Of Fame' and I've determined that it should combine pop chart success with RIAA album sales, and on this blog, I will post nominees that debuted each year, to be considered, starting with the year 1955. My first group of nominees will be artists who charted before 1955, and I will go forward with each year, and include some suitable nominees who don't receive enough votes to qualify, from prior years.

 I have decided that an artist needs to have debuted at least 10 years before being elected, meaning at this point, the artist had to start charting in 2003 or earlier to qualify. Next year, artists from 2004 will qualify.

The artists considered will be from any genre, as long as they hit the pop charts.

These are the artists that I have determined to be the first nominees for the 'Paul's Pop Music Hall Of Fame' :

PRE 1955
BING CROSBY
FRANK SINATRA
DORIS DAY
DEAN MARTIN
PERRY COMO
ROSEMARY CLOONEY
TERESA BREWER
TONY BENNETT
NAT KING COLE

I'm thinking that once a week would make sense to add new nominees. If you are interested in voting, just reply to this blog.

I realize that, in the beginning, there won't be many active readers to vote, so I may have to elect nominees myself, but hopefully this will catch on a bit and I'll leave it up to the votes of the readers.




No comments:

Post a Comment